Pages

the day we met

Friday, December 15, 2017

Being a stay at home mom has given me a ton of time to think. This can be very good and very bad ;) One good thing that I've thought a lot about is that I haven't written down our story of how Ben and I met, became friends, dated and got married. I love thinking about our story because I freaking love my husband and it is funny the way that WE began. Our story begins like most couples. Two people (who were very different) met and became friends. I'll walk you through it.

It was April of my Sophomore year at Baylor. My Sophomore year was my most extroverted year, I think. I did everything I could with my sorority, got together with friends/roommates/neighbors ALL THE TIME and really, I don't recall studying...ever. Sorry Mom and Dad. Well we get to the week of Dia Del Oso and that day I was mega thriving. Rollerblading everywhere, seeing all my friends, snow cones...you get the picture. The day after Dia is when I met Ben. Cue chorus of angels singing ahhh!

Me and my roomie Anna were planning on hanging out with our friend Grant who was a Senior at the time. We knew he was inviting one of his friends that he hung out with a bunch but we didn't know who he was. OoOoOoO oLdEr GuYs. Our plans were to go to a movie and then to a dance party outside at the Dr. Pepper museum. We had to pick up Grant's friend because he didn't have a car. We rode in Anna's car to LL Sams and picked up BEN in the parking lot. He walked up to the car with fluffy hair, cut off corduroys (I found out later he calls these "corts," like corduroy-shorts lol), Chacos, and a China Spring (a local high school) volleyball shirt. We drove to the Dollar General to pick up some candy before our movie, How to Train Your Dragon.


After the movie, we went to the dance party and this is when the fun REALLY started. That particular dance party ended up being a pillow fight and there were feathers everywhere. We danced forever, it seemed. Anna and I had gone to dance parties before and let's just say we let loose on the floor. We were craaaaazy weird dancers. While we were at the dance party, I began to notice Ben. In the midst of my crazy dancing, I noticed that he was really keeping up with us. He might have been an even crazier dancer than me! All 4 of us danced so much and sweat even more. We left and went back to our duplex since Grant's car was there. All of us went upstairs and were just talking and having
fun. I sat on the back of our blue leather couch (lol) and accidentally flipped backwards onto the glass coffee table and knocked off the incense oil thing that was there. Everyone was cracking up at me including myself but it was actually pretty painful!

Eventually Ben and Grant went home and I was left to thinking. My first impressions of Ben were that he had big hair, was a hilarious dancer and had oddly nerdy cute style. I really kinda loved the fact that he didn't care what people thought about what he wore or how he danced or which movies he liked. I am a CLASSIC people pleaser and so this quality immediately caught my attention. I also loved that he had this quiet peace about him. There was just something mysterious about this Ben Belz person. I never really had a friend like Ben. Someone so quiet and reserved, or so I thought at the time. All these first impressions caught my eye and I wanted to find out more.


I just texted Ben and he said his first impression of me was: "You were beautiful and funny and fun and just goofy/weird enough to handle my extreme weirdness. And especially after getting to hang out with you a couple times, I knew there was something special about you that I just wanted to be around more and more."


ALL THE HEART EYES. More on the next part of our story later... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan