Pages

faster life.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Life has looked a lot differently lately. I have less time to spend in my thoughts during my day and process things. I started school with my kids on Tuesday and I love them already!!!

On the first day of school I shared with them about how my Dad had died this summer. I cherished their faces. Those faces that have seen just as much/more grief than me. I told them that if Mrs. Belz every looked sad it was because she was missing her Dad and she will be okay in a little bit! One of the reasons I love my job so much is because I have SO many different roles as a teacher. I felt like a counselor in that moment. Those people who are teachers get the many roles we play :)

It felt good to talk about my Dad to my sweet littles. I haven't had much of a chance lately to talk about my Dad. Life has gotten faster. People don't ask much anymore. What this does is make me feel like people have forgotten. I was thinking about this the other day because I told a friend I felt like people had forgotten about my Dad. What I really meant was that I feel like people have forgotten the pain I feel about Dad. That it still hasn't gone away. That I am still going through this and need people now more than ever. That's the thing with life, things move on. I suppose that sounds selfish.

As I feel people moving on, I am drawn back to remember that the only person who really understands and cares about how I feel 24/7 is Jesus. I'll be honest, sometimes I get so angry! I feel angry sometimes because I want to be heard. I want to talk about things. I want to cry and let it out! I have been talking about my Dad so much lately to Ben. Ben recently started a to play in a men's soccer league in Waco and it reminds me so much of when I was younger and my Dad used to play in a Softball league. I remember him being so active and FUN! Ben reminds me so much of my Dad in so many ways. I've also been remembering my Dad's scent before he got sick. If you know me, you know I love smells! My Dad used to smell of leather, mint and his cologne :) Every day after work he would feel so cold because his car's AC would be on FULL blast. I would hug his still-crisp work shirt and he would always smell the same :)

I miss that. I really miss him. I have a picture of my Dad and me on my door in the classroom. I LOVE that my students ask me about him. They think I am so ridiculous because I haven't put a picture in the locket he gave me. They are so cute and LITTLE!! I suppose I am just really appreciative of my kids this week. They have been able to minister to my heart in a unique way. Jesus really is faithful. He knows I was feeling lonely in that way. I just really miss my Daddy. I really do.

Me and Daddy in 2009 at a Baylor baseball game. 

5 comments:

  1. Yes, we do not want Kirk to be forgotten and I've wanted to make a contribution to something that will keep his name, but so far no help for ideas. Friends in Amarillo have made contributions in memory of your Daddy and my son, but that will soon be forgotten. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad died 29 years ago, and I still think of him every day. Cherish your memories, talk often about him and the awesome experiences you had. People will be blessed by the incredible legacy he left behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this it says anonymous!! I love talking about him :) Thank you for your words :)

      Delete
  3. I love to read about your dad. What a precious man and what sweet memories you have. Have you thought about picking one of the characteristics you admire or miss the most and make an award for your classroom? Or maybe pick a different trait each week and let them observe that in each other? Not sure the age of your littles, but I am guessing they would love to honor and remember your dad with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this it says anonymous!! I LOVE this idea! My littles are 3rd grade!!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan